Use CVS outside kdevelop

Steven T. Hatton hattons at globalsymmetry.com
Wed Apr 2 14:25:06 BST 2003

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 07:33 am, Alex wrote:
> Hello.

> But now, I have to use a remote cvs server as a repository :-(, and I'm
> worried about what to do to not disturb kdevelop work. My project is still
> small, so a good idea maybe will be doing that:

I can't provide answers, but I can commiserate. ;-(  I've always been baffled
by CVS and how various tools are supposed to work in conjunction with it.
I'm at about the same satage as you regarding settign up a remote CVS
repository.

> - Create a new kdevelop project, without version control system.
> - Add and replace *.cpp and *.h files by the ones from my current project
> (adding them to project, of course).
> - Import to cvs repository my source files, plus kdevelop project files,
> Makefile.am, configure.in, and other files needed by autotools (here is
> where I am not sure about what files are needed).
> - Check out to get a work copy of the project.

What I just did was, outside of KDevelop, make distclean. I did this before I
imported the project.  As for adding the correct files after you start
coding, I really don't know what to do.  I assume it's whatever is left after
a make distclean.  But does that mean I need to add each new file by hand?
Yuck!

> And that's all, isn't it? If I need to return back to an older version of
> the project, I should close kdevelop, update the project, and open kdevelop
> again.
>
> Resuming:
> 1) What files should I keep under cvs management to work properly with
> kdevelop?
> 2) Ther will be problems with cvs "expansion"? (I mean things like $ Id $,
> etc.)
>
> Any comments?
There's got to be a better way!  I've seen better.  Once I got the hang of
what JBuilder was doing, it was actually pretty nice.  Eclipse also has a
fairly nice CVS feature.

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best regards,

STH