Red Hat bugs...

Ralph Mack ralphmack at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 2 16:49:54 GMT 2002

OK. I tweaked the generated configure script this morning to reduce the
requirement from Qt 3.1 to 3.0, built the
program, and ran it. The new version that I built (which reports itself
as 2.1.4) appears to behave properly w.r.t. jumping to source from
reported errors. I notice from the ChangeLog that F at lk applied a fix on
the 31st for the problem, the day before I built. (I would have tweaked
in a more original place than the generated configure script but I'm
still sorting through the various layers of .in, .am, .in.in, etc. to
figure out how all this layers together - there's a bunch of
superstructure there over vanilla automake - and figured I'd just get
something done first.)

In the absence of further information I can only presume that the Qt
3.1 requirement was driven by either a library bug causing a KDevelop
bug or a library feature required for a KDevelop feature. Since the
code built successfully, the former seems likelier than the latter.

So I figured out the answers to most of my original questions. As I dig
further into the Linux world, I am getting more comfortable with the
radical notion of learning things by trying them rather than by trying
to find the canonical answer from some authority, but it is a difficult
adjustment. Most of my past work has been heavily standards-based,
where it doesn't matter if something works unless it is also
well-formed. I apologize for the noise.

However, pragmatically, my little hack into the configure script has me
wondering:
- What feature of kdevelop won't work with the version that I built
against Qt 3.0.5? Was it egregious?
- Assuming this was the only deviation, can I safely use what I made as
my development environment going forward?

Ralph