autoindent using tabs broken

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at web.de
Sun Mar 24 14:56:58 GMT 2002

Hi,

yesterday I installed kde3.0rc3 and of course also kdevelop2.rc3 for KDE3.0

Well, but now there's a problem, autoindent doesn't seems to work when tabs
are used for indent.

For example:

// here autoindent still works
<space> <space> i++;			// first line, autoindent is to be done from here
<space> <space> printf(" %d",i);	// second line, autoindet is done here

// but here it doesn't works
 <tab> <tab> i++;				//first line, autoindent is to be done from here
<space> <space> printf(" %d",i);	// second line, autoindet is done here

When spaces are set before the 'real' source code everything is o.k., but when
tabs are used, instead of using tabs again for autoindet, spaces are used.

The code seems to count the characters before the 'real' source and then
inserts this number of spaces. IMHO, I think it would be better to copy all
the characters before the 'real' code to the next line, so that even mixing
of tabs and spaces would work.

For my own usage I wrote a small (and I think ugly) workaround that checks if
spaces or tabs are used. Of course, I can provide this patch, though I don't
think you really want to have it.

Best regards, Bernd