Best KDE development tools... help... Borland Kylix?

Berndt Josef Wulf wulf at dingo.ping.net.au
Sat May 26 06:07:25 BST 2001

Jonathan Hunt wrote
> > Kylix used to be expensive, but Borland just yesterday I believe cut the
> > price of the desktop version to $199 US. You can purchase it at
> > http://shop.borland.com/Product/0,1057,3-15-CQ100479,00.html. I'm ordering
> > my copy tonight.
> >

> Ahem, a excuse me. Kdevelop is free and Kylix now costs ONLY $199 I don't
> know about you but I consider $199 EXPENSIVE when I can get a very good IDE
> for free.

As a professional developer, you will appreciate the fact that
investing $199 in a well known commercial grade development tool such
as Kylix (Delphi) is chicken-feed when comparing it with the cost of
employing a +$50K analyst/developer. Advantages of commerical
products in todays environment are low cost of ownership, reduced
development lifecycle and availability of trained IT-professionals.

Disadvantages of free development tools such as KDevelop are limited
compatiblity with existing projects/products, availability of trained
IT-professionals and use of QT libraries is not free in for commerical
developments.

In summary, whilst free development tools are a good choice for privat use
it may not be the an ideal enironment for commercial software
production.

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf at ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes