Best KDE development tools... help... Borland Kylix?

Jonathan Hunt jhuntnz at users.sf.net
Sat May 26 06:42:27 BST 2001

On Saturday 26 May 2001 13:07, you wrote:
> Jonathan Hunt wrote
>
> > > Kylix used to be expensive, but Borland just yesterday I believe cut
> > > the price of the desktop version to $199 US. You can purchase it at
> > > http://shop.borland.com/Product/0,1057,3-15-CQ100479,00.html. I'm
> > > ordering my copy tonight.
> >
> > Ahem, a excuse me. Kdevelop is free and Kylix now costs ONLY $199 I don't
> > know about you but I consider $199 EXPENSIVE when I can get a very good
> > IDE for free.
>
> As a professional developer, you will appreciate the fact that
> investing $199 in a well known commercial grade development tool such
> as Kylix (Delphi) is chicken-feed when comparing it with the cost of
> employing a +$50K analyst/developer. Advantages of commerical
> products in todays environment are low cost of ownership, reduced
> development lifecycle and availability of trained IT-professionals.
>
> Disadvantages of free development tools such as KDevelop are limited
> compatiblity with existing projects/products, availability of trained
> IT-professionals and use of QT libraries is not free in for commerical
> developments.
>
> In summary, whilst free development tools are a good choice for privat use
> it may not be the an ideal enironment for commercial software
> production.
>

> cheerio Berndt

Yes I can see you're point. However coming from M$ Visual C++ to Kdevelop
(M$VC is commercial software) I found Kdevelop performing as well (as and
IDE) and I found Qt (admittedly Qt is commercial software) a lot nicer to
work with than MFC. I think the idea that just because something is
commercial it must be better than something that is free is ridiculous. And
for me at least Kylix (or anything else) would have to have significant
advantages over something free before I would pay for it.

Jonny

--
Jonathan Hunt (The Real Jonathan Hunt) <jhuntnz at users.sf.net>
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."