more intuitive visual interface

John Gluck john.gluck at sympatico.ca
Thu May 10 21:48:40 BST 2001

Roland Krause wrote:

[snip]

> > > The danger is that in the
> > long
> > > run you don't know what you're doing or why.
>
> That's the danger of using a UI designer?

No it's a danger of using class libraries in general,

> I dont think so. There are
> certain things that I'd rather selectively ignore. For me, details
> about widget implementation belong among those. Every person who's ever
> written a program using the Motif toolkit knows what I am talking
> about.
>
> > Also, it's much harder
> > > debug things when you didn't write the code.
>
> That has nothing to do with it, you dont need to debug code that's been
> generated. If there is problems with such code, the generator is bad
> and you need to use another tool.

In some cases you don't have a choice. The decision was made for you.

> > Last but not least,
> > using
> > > objects that are written to be general purpose and have feature you
> > > don't need  and don't use tends to produce bloatware.
>
> That's also untrue. A QListBox uses the same amount of memory whether I
> write the code that instantiates it or uic does.

I think you misunderstood. QListBox is a general purpose class written for use by programmers everywhere
and with very different needs.
If you wrote a MyListBox that only had functionality that you need, it would likely be smaller.
Especially if it were based upon your own generic classes. I'm not saying Qt is bad I'm just saying that
it will tend to produce larger binaries than stuff that's home grown lean and mean.

> > > There is a happy medium somewhere that eases the task of
> > programming but
> > > still requires a programmer to do some work.
>
> My three rules of hacking:
>
> 1 Less code to maintain, is better code.

I can't disagree with that. Qt is an awful lot of code, it's just not your code.
You may not maintain but somebody does.

> 2 There is no free lunch.

Exactly true. So you can write your own stuff and understand it thoroughly, or trust someone else and
not understand it at all.

> 3 If you don't know what you are doing, you'll be doing it until you
> will.

Or you'll get fired and not be doing anything except standing in the unemployment line.

> Roland
> PS: If your employer fired that guy for that reason, I'd keep my resume
> updated if I were you.

I think he was trying to say the empolyee was incompetent. Your second sentence above insinuates that
the writer of the post is also incompetent. My impression is that he is at least fairly competent.