more intuitive visual interface

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Fri May 11 10:15:36 BST 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, John Gluck wrote:
> I think you misunderstood. QListBox is a general purpose class written for use by programmers everywhere
> and with very different needs.
> If you wrote a MyListBox that only had functionality that you need, it would likely be smaller.

And would have more bugs, would be slower and flicker. QListBox is not
a trivial class. Trolltech has put a lot of effort into optimizing it.

> Especially if it were based upon your own generic classes. I'm not saying Qt is bad I'm just saying that
> it will tend to produce larger binaries than stuff that's home grown lean and mean.

Only if you link statically. If you run your program under KDE and link
Qt as shared library, much of the Qt code is already in memory and is
shared between processes.

> Exactly true. So you can write your own stuff and understand it thoroughly,

That's already the problem. It's not enough that _you_ understand
your code. Both in the free and commercial software world, _others_
have to understand it. Write your dialog with XPutPixel() and friends
and give it others. They will certainly be very enthusiastic when
they have to change or add something.

Moreover, if you work in an environment with skilled user interface
experts, you better design your application such that those experts can
maintain the dialog layouts.

Bernd.