more intuitive visual interface

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 22:51:08 BST 2001

--- bretzel <bretzel at bretzel.home.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2001 16:12, you wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > It's nice to have IDEs and stuff that you can use to pick and
> choose
> > objects and widgets and things. Just being able to do a pick and
> plunk
> > however doesn't make you a programmer.

Being able to spit out hundreds and hundreds of lines of repetitious,
error prone and tedious code makes you a "programmer", but a very bored
one.

> > The danger is that in the
> long
> > run you don't know what you're doing or why.

That's the danger of using a UI designer? I dont think so. There are
certain things that I'd rather selectively ignore. For me, details
about widget implementation belong among those. Every person who's ever
written a program using the Motif toolkit knows what I am talking
about.

> Also, it's much harder
> > debug things when you didn't write the code.

That has nothing to do with it, you dont need to debug code that's been
generated. If there is problems with such code, the generator is bad
and you need to use another tool.

> Last but not least,
> using
> > objects that are written to be general purpose and have feature you
> > don't need  and don't use tends to produce bloatware.

That's also untrue. A QListBox uses the same amount of memory whether I
write the code that instantiates it or uic does.

> > There is a happy medium somewhere that eases the task of
> programming but
> > still requires a programmer to do some work.

My three rules of hacking:

1 Less code to maintain, is better code.
2 There is no free lunch.
3 If you don't know what you are doing, you'll be doing it until you
will.

Roland
PS: If your employer fired that guy for that reason, I'd keep my resume
updated if I were you.

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and