more intuitive visual interface

bretzel bretzel at bretzel.home.net
Thu May 10 13:46:24 BST 2001

On Wednesday 09 May 2001 16:12, you wrote:
> Hi All
>
> It's nice to have IDEs and stuff that you can use to pick and choose
> objects and widgets and things. Just being able to do a pick and plunk
> however doesn't make you a programmer. The danger is that in the long
> run you don't know what you're doing or why. Also, it's much harder to
> debug things when you didn't write the code. Last but not least, using
> objects that are written to be general purpose and have feature you
> don't need  and don't use tends to produce bloatware.
>
> There is a happy medium somewhere that eases the task of programming but
> still requires a programmer to do some work. I'm sure there are various
> arguments for different points of view. Personally, if I wanted to do
> Microslop I'd be washing Windows.
>
> Just my 2 cents worth.
>
> John

I also wanna put my 2 cents with a concrete (anecdote ? - sorry for my
english ) to support what John is saying:

Two years ago I was an employee of a hightech company, they hired a
programmer in the R&D department. I often spoke to that guy during breaks.
He was telling loudly that he knows C++ Builder very well - and it was true.
With C++Builder, he made several interprocess comm. over TCP/IP apps projects
 before he went to our company. And one day, he went to me asking for my help
because he didn't know at all how to make something very basic in C language
under MSDOS ( djgpp ). One element of the solution to his problem was to
create an array of pointers to functions... He didn't have the programming
experience ( and probably the skill ) to find and inmplement that by himself.

And... one day, I didn't see him at his workplace. He was gone... My employer
fired him ...

Bretzel