Newbie Question: Setup on RH7 for development

Juergen Suessmaier juergen at suessmaier.de
Fri Mar 23 20:58:44 GMT 2001

Hi Jonathan,

> Talk about a bear to install. I went to www.xfree86.org and they want me to
> run their special little installer program. Okay, no panic, just weird.
>
> I looked aroung for a nice rpm, I don't see 4.0.2 lying around anywhere. Am I
> looking in the wrong places?
there are ready to use RH7 RPMs somewhere out there but I forgot where I
downloaded them from. I guess I found them via http://rpmfind.net

> I saw Juergen post aomething about USB support. I don't know enough
> about the kernel to turn it off (and frankly, my brain is full right now!) I
You can turn it off by adding a line
append="nousb"
to your /etc/lilo.conf (and rerun lilo afterwards of course)

> went to www.kernel.org and I downloaded the source for the 2.4.2 kernel.
>
> Now I am looking for a good kernel compile howto. Is there an rpm for this
> lying around as well?
Not to my knowledge unless you find a kernel source RPM packaged for the
RH7 distribution. SuSE might work as well but I'm not sure and I've
never tried to mix SuSE packaged kernels into a RedHat distro. However,
compiling the kernel isn't that complicated:

- remove the link /usr/src/linux
- unpack original kernel from kernel.org in /usr/linux
- rename the created linux directory to linux-2.4.2 and recreate the
  linux link (i.e. ln -s linux-2.4.2 linux)

- IMPORTANT: Rename /usr/include/linux to something else and do a
  ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
  For some reason RedHat didn't install the kernel-headers in
  /usr/src/linux-<version>/... but preferred to place it directly into
  /usr/include. Weird, dangerous and misleading from my point of view.
  By the way: They installed a 2.2.16 kernel and 2.4.0 header files!

- Then cd to /usr/src/linux and run
  make xconfig (if you're running X) or
  make menuconfig (if no X available)
- Walk through the configuration. There's enough online help available
  that also points you to additional documentation
- Save configuration and then
- make dep;make install;make modules;make modules_install
- wait forever :-)
- cd /boot
- mkinitrd initrd-2.4.2.img 2.4.2

- add a new entry to /etc/lilo.conf, which may look like
  image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.2
  label=linux242
  initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.2.img
  read-only
  root=<your root device>
- rerun lilo
- init 6

At the upcoming LILO prompt enter
linux242

Then play around until you verified kernel stability. If you decide to use
this kernel permanently then change the "default" entry in /etc/lilo.conf
to linux242, rerun lilo and from that point the system will boot the new
kernel by default.

As long as you don't change the "default" entry in lilo.conf, the system
will boot the original kernel whenever you hit <Enter> at the lilo prompt
(or lilo times out), so you will have a good backup available and the new
kernel introduces no risk. If 2.4.2 crashes your system (probably due to
misconfiguration) just boot the original kernel, think about what went
wrong, then
- cd to /usr/src/linux
- make xconfig and fix the configuration
- make install;make modules;make modules_install

... and so on

> qt-devel-2.2.0-0.5.beta2
> qt-2.2.0-0.5.beta2
No, unless your QTDIR variable points to the correct version. This is set
in /etc/profile.d/qt.sh and /etc/profile.d/etc.csh

Best regards,
Juergen
J. Süßmaier Systementwicklungen
Jürgen Süßmaier
juergen at suessmaier.de                       Realtime Software Development
Katharina Geisler Str. 14                       Embedded Applications
D-85356 Freising                                     Automation
Germany