Newbie Question: Setup on RH7 for development

Jonathan Gardner gardner at sounddomain.com
Fri Mar 23 18:29:34 GMT 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Giorgi Lekishvili wrote:
> > > Xfree86 4.0.2,

Talk about a bear to install. I went to www.xfree86.org and they want me to
run their special little installer program. Okay, no panic, just weird.

I looked aroung for a nice rpm, I don't see 4.0.2 lying around anywhere. Am I
looking in the wrong places?

> > > Kernel 2.4 (not 2.2.16, which is not satisfactory);

I saw Juergen post aomething about USB support. I don't know enough
about the kernel to turn it off (and frankly, my brain is full right now!) I
went to www.kernel.org and I downloaded the source for the 2.4.2 kernel.

Now I am looking for a good kernel compile howto. Is there an rpm for this
lying around as well?

> > > kde 2.1 (RH box has 1.x, and kde 2.0 test, in the 2nd CD, in 'preview');

I am still looking for this... maybe I should skip RPM and just get it from the
CVS tree or whatever you guys use.

> > > qt-2.2.4 (instead of qt-2.2.0)

I found a couple of RPMS for this. I need the source, of course, so I
downloaded one called "qt-2.2.4-2-src.rpm" and one called "qt-2.2.4-4.i386.rpm".

This made me happy. Do I need any other RPMs concerning qt?

Do I need to remove the following?

qt-devel-2.2.0-0.5.beta2
qt-2.2.0-0.5.beta2

> > > qt-1.45, its presence is mandatory);

I'll just leave the stock rpms I have on my system.
qt1x-devel-1.45-11
qt1x-1.45-11
qt1x-GL-1.45-11

> > > and kdevelop 1.4.

Okay, I'll get kdevelop 1.4. I want the source for this as well... I should be
able to get it from the KDE site and compile it myself.

> > Naaaa! Bitter experience, why?
> because I did all this...

Yes, this is not a pretty experience for a newbie. It *could* be easier, but at
what expense? I am learning a lot by doing this, a lot I *need* to know. I am
using Linux because I don't like watered down OS's, I want the truth.

> > But Jonathan, if you want to be a KDE programmer you have to learn how to
> > handle with source-code!

Which brings me to the second point: CVS, daily updates, diff whatever you
guys do. It is nice that I have all this stuff, but I need to be working on the
live version of the code for whatever I am working on, or it will be mostly
useless.

> > And another point: The difference between the various linux
> > distribution are
> > not so large and can be changed.

Okay, this is reassuring. I did a bit of work with compiling apache. I
noticed the rpm version and the compiled version are very different.
It took a lot of research to get everything working the way rpm had it. I
thought perhaps other things were just as bad.

 --
Jonathan Gardner
gardner at sounddomain.com
(425)820-2244 x123