Newbie Question: Setup on RH7 for development

Giorgi Lekishvili gleki at gol.ge
Fri Mar 23 21:13:59 GMT 2001

Perhaps here?
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.0.2/binaries/
You need to be careful about the version of glibc. So, read readme first. I
have not upgrade XFree86 of mine, so hopefully someone will find time to
give you more competent hints. But I'm planning to do so soon.

> I saw Juergen post aomething about USB support. I don't know enough
> about the kernel to turn it off (and frankly, my brain is full
> right now!) I
> went to www.kernel.org and I downloaded the source for the 2.4.2 kernel.

Now, there is no rpm for kernel. Instead, one needs to run make xconfig. But
find first a good textbook on RH Linux. I have the one by David Pitts ea.
(not sure about the spelling of the name, 'cause I have a Russian
translation...) but the book is just great. Well, I have on RH 5.2, but it
was quite useful anyway (this was my first linux). Compiling kernel can be
very tricky for a newbie. So, perhaps you first get kde 2.1 with kdevelop
rpms, explore more about linux/unix and than start getting this stuff?
> Now I am looking for a good kernel compile howto. Is there an rpm for this
> lying around as well?

> in 'preview');
>
> I am still looking for this... maybe I should skip RPM and just
> get it from the
> CVS tree or whatever you guys use.
have you visited this site?
http://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/2.1/distribution/rpm/RedHa
t/7.0/i386/

> I found a couple of RPMS for this. I need the source, of course, so I
> downloaded one called "qt-2.2.4-2-src.rpm" and one called
> "qt-2.2.4-4.i386.rpm".
qt is also there.

> This made me happy. Do I need any other RPMs concerning qt?
>
> Do I need to remove the following?
>
> qt-devel-2.2.0-0.5.beta2
> qt-2.2.0-0.5.beta2

Now, you mustn't. Just read install howto. You may need to visit
http://www.troll.no

> I'll just leave the stock rpms I have on my system.
> qt1x-devel-1.45-11
> qt1x-1.45-11
> qt1x-GL-1.45-11

> Okay, I'll get kdevelop 1.4. I want the source for this as
> well... I should be
> able to get it from the KDE site and compile it myself.
Yes, you can do so, but, still, visit this site:
http://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/2.1/distribution/rpm/RedHa
t/7.0/i386/

> > > Naaaa! Bitter experience, why?
> > because I did all this...
>
> Yes, this is not a pretty experience for a newbie. It *could* be
> easier, but at
> what expense? I am learning a lot by doing this, a lot I *need*
> to know. I am
> using Linux because I don't like watered down OS's, I want the truth.
>

> > > But Jonathan, if you want to be a KDE programmer you have to
> learn how to
> > > handle with source-code!
>
> Which brings me to the second point: CVS, daily updates, diff whatever you
> guys do. It is nice that I have all this stuff, but I need to be
> working on the
> live version of the code for whatever I am working on, or it will
> be mostly
> useless.
>
> > > And another point: The difference between the various linux
> > > distribution are
> > > not so large and can be changed.
>
> Okay, this is reassuring. I did a bit of work with compiling apache. I
> noticed the rpm version and the compiled version are very different.
> It took a lot of research to get everything working the way rpm had it. I
> thought perhaps other things were just as bad.
Another hint: get this book:
Unix secrets (2nd edition) by James. C. Armstrong, Jr. After you have dealt
with the Pitts, it is a very useful thing. Here you can find how to make
programs, makefiles, libraries... It's really nice.