Not updating Makefile correct

Marcus Gruendler runner at tamalin.de
Fri Mar 9 12:43:34 GMT 2001

On Thursday 08 March 2001 16:40 you wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm using kdevelop 1.4 , and when im doing som sort of changes in the
> compile settings, this is not reflected in the makefile.
>
> And when I do a Make Distrubution, so does kdevelop ignore all my extra
> includes and my extra libs that I've included????

[...]

Hi Fredrik,

I am just working on the same "problem" here with my project. In the first
run I thought it is a bug in KDevelop but after some thought I realized that
it is the only correct behaviour KDevelop can do.

The point is: if you set extra include/library diretories within the KDevelop
dialogs, these settings are specific to your computer/system only. Now, if
you make a distribution and give your project away to someone else who does
not have the includes at the same location as you have, he could not compile
your project at all.

The solution is to write autoconf macros that find the include/library paths
and set them into the makefiles. I know this is not a simple job especially
for a beginner, but it's the only way. For a first step you could have a look
at the file acinclude.m4.in in your projects directory. This is the place you
should put your new macros which will be used in configure.in

There is a very good online book about GNU autotools at
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

I have no solution for your first point yet. I think KDevelop should put the
compiler flags into the Makefile.am in order to use them in a distribution.

I hope this helps a little.

Bye, Marcus

--
Marcus Gruendler