Feature request:Code formatting policies

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jul 19 08:49:56 BST 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> Pabs wrote:
> >
> > Feature request
> > Code formatting policies:
>
> KDevelop 3 (gideon) contains an astyle plugin for selection of code
> formatting already. As far as I understand your request, you try to
> force a certain formatting, which is a simple Nono for most developers
> :)

In many companies, there are strict policies for formatting code,
naming variables, etc.

> Hence either write as you want or use the plugin to format the code
> in a certain manner you prefer.

I think Pabs referred to a possibility to distribute a set of
rules between developers. This can currently be done by sending
the respective astyle command line arguments (which our astyle
plugin cannot parse yet), a 'ts=8 sts=4 sw=4' string for vi or
a Local Variables section for Emacs. I don't think you will be
able to convince any editor developer to include an xml parser
for such a purpose though ;-)

Bernd.