Feature request:Code formatting policies

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Wed Jul 18 07:31:12 BST 2001

Pabs wrote:

> Feature request
> Code formatting policies:

KDevelop 3 (gideon) contains an astyle plugin for selection of code
formatting already. As far as I understand your request, you try to
force a certain formatting, which is a simple Nono for most developers
:) Hence either write as you want or use the plugin to format the code
in a certain manner you prefer.

Ralf

> IDE developers (KDevelop, VIDE, RHIDE, Komodo, emacs modes etc ) could colaborate
> to define an XML namespace DTD that can represent code formatting policies.
> Each software package (the GIMP, KDE, Apache, Linux etc) could then distribute
> these files with the src, and the code editors/IDEs of people who write code
> for these projects could either enforce these policies through automatic formatting
> or indicate parts of the code that don't conform to the policy.
>
> examples
> positioning of braces in C/C++
> whitespace in function calls
> whitespace around operators
> etc
>
> Why XML instead of just sample source files - easier to determine if policy
> documents conform to the standard, more flexible, multiple languages easily
> accomodated.
>
> The result might be more accepted patches, less work for maintainers -> better
> software, faster
>
> Bye,
> Pabs
>
> -
> to unsubscribe from this list send an email to kdevelop-request at kdevelop.org with the following body:
> unsubscribe »your-email-address«

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org