KDevelop 1.3: trouble making and browsing API docs

Matthew D. Langston langston at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Fri Feb 2 21:45:01 GMT 2001

Here is some potentially pertinent information about my KDE and KDevelop
installation:

Qt 2.2.2 and 1.44
KDE 2.0.1 and 1.1.2
KDevelop 1.3
RH 6.1 Intel
gcc 2.95.2

NOTE: I am using the KDevelop 1.3 binary that I downloaded from the
      KDevelop web site at
      ftp://ftp.kdevelop.org/pub/kdevelop/kdevelop-1.3-linux-i386.tar.bz2.

My problem is generating the API documentation for my project by
clicking on "Project -> Make API-Doc..." in Kdevelop.  The problem is
that when I click on "Make API-Doc..." nothing happens.  Well, something
happens, namely the status bar says "Creating project API
Documentation", and the following menu entries in the Project menu
become disabled (i.e. they are grayed out):

Make Message and Merge
Make API-Doc...
Make User-Manual...
Make Distribution

At this point, the "Stop" button on the main toolbar becomes enabled,
but KDevelop never seems to create my project's API documentation.  When
I click on "Stop" (some several minutes later), the four aforementioned
menu entries become enabled again.

I should also mention that I enabled "Create also KDOC-reference of your
project" under "Options -> KDevelop Setup -> Documentation".

In the tree view of KDevelop on the Doc tab, there are two folders under
"Current Project" named "API documentation" and "User Manual".  When I
click on these, they are empty (i.e. the Documentation tab in the main
view doesn't show my project's API documentation).

However, when I look in the RFV for html files, I find several .html
files under
/kmywidget/api/home/langston/.kde/share/apps/kdevelop/KDE-Documentation/kdoc-reference/
which does look like my project's API documentation.

So, how do I get my project's API documentation to show up in the tree
view of KDevelop on the Doc tab under the folder named "API
documentation"?  And, why does clicking on "Project -> Make API-Doc..."
never end?

Can you help me with this please?  Thank you :-)

Regards, Matt

--
Matthew D. Langston
SLD, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center