gideon

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Tue Aug 28 09:28:29 BST 2001

On Dienstag, 28. August 2001 04:25, you wrote:
> Maybe I can help. :-)
You did :)

What's missing for understanding is that as gideon is based on plugins, you
won't see those if they are not installed. While the usual KDE applications
formerly were just one big binary, this isn't the case anymore so you need to
install gideon. Due to the naming of the binary, it doesn't interfere with an
installed version of 2.0 at the same time, so you can run both in parallel.
Additionally, the ksycoca is a program that builds up a binary database from
installed .desktop files. Each plugin provides such a file for the service it
offers. That way, the program gets notified about a plugin by querying the
trader for the available plugins/services (same as konqueror basically).
KDEDIRS is another environment variable you can use for your kde installation
that's been introduced because of paralell installations of KDE 1 and KDE 2
systems at the same time a while back, so both are supported, KDEDIR and
KDEDIRS, for KDE 2.x installations.

So, just install gideon, kbuildsycoca notices the difference by itself and
updates ksycoca automatically. Then the services/plugins (especially the New
Project one :)) are provided in the menu.

Ralf

> Julian Rockey wrote:
> > > Your gideon version is correct, but you don't got the additonial menu
> > > entries because Gideon couldn't found the plugins.  Please set the
> > > correct KDEDIRS and restart "kbuildsycoca". This should work.
> >
> > Sorry for my lack of understanding here, but could you be more explicit?
> > I'll tell you where I get stuck. My KDEDIR points to /opt/kde, where KDE
> > 2.2 release is installed. For experiemental stuff like Gideon I don't
> > want to
>
> export KDEDIR=/opt/kde   // so programs can find lib and includes from
> KDE
>
> When you "./configure --prefix=/opt/gideon" // will put KDevelop there.
> make -k       // allows the compiler to ('k'eep-on) compiling
> [especially CVS]:)
> make install  // the configure script set up the prefix to install into.
>
> You should still have the Kdevelop-2.0 using qt-2.3.x.
> When the qt-3 starts you will have to:
>  configure -prefix=/opt/gideon -with-qt-dir=/wherever/qt3/is.
>  to pick up the new qt.
>
> I have a RH-6.2 with "/opt/kde" I didn't like under "/usr" :-))
> As long as the program can find the correct libs & includes it
> doesn't matter (on YOUR machine).
> Ken
>
> > install in /opt/kde so I compile it in a local dir and run it from there
> > (i.e. I never execute make install - just cd src;./gideon) So where
> > should KDEDIR point to in this case? Or does KDE always expect a bin ,
> > lib , share (et cetera..) structure? And is there a difference between
> > KDEDIR and KDEDIRS?
> >
> > And the way configure seems to work, the --prefix option seems to specify
> > both where your kde libraries are AND where you'd like Gideon (or
> > whatever) to be installed. Because I can't figure out how to specify
> > these separately, this is why I run Gideon from the directory in which I
> > compiled it.
> >
> > Sorry again for asking mundane questions but I hope that any time you put
> > in helping me get started I can repay with contributions to the project!
> > (I mean code, not pizza or free mugs, I should make clear after reading
> > other posts here!)
> >
> > thanks,
> > Julian
> >
> > -
> > to unsubscribe from this list send an email to
> > kdevelop-request at kdevelop.org with the following body: unsubscribe
> > »your-email-address«
>
> -
> kdevelop-request at kdevelop.org with the following body: unsubscribe
> »your-email-address«

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org