gideon

Julian Rockey linux at jrockey.com
Mon Aug 27 22:45:17 BST 2001

> Your gideon version is correct, but you don't got the additonial menu
> entries because Gideon couldn't found the plugins.  Please set the correct
> KDEDIRS and restart "kbuildsycoca". This should work.

Sorry for my lack of understanding here, but could you be more explicit? I'll
tell you where I get stuck. My KDEDIR points to /opt/kde, where KDE 2.2
release is installed. For experiemental stuff like Gideon I don't want to
install in /opt/kde so I compile it in a local dir and run it from there
(i.e. I never execute make install - just cd src;./gideon) So where should
KDEDIR point to in this case? Or does KDE always expect a bin , lib , share
(et cetera..) structure? And is there a difference between KDEDIR and KDEDIRS?

And the way configure seems to work, the --prefix option seems to specify
both where your kde libraries are AND where you'd like Gideon (or whatever)
to be installed. Because I can't figure out how to specify these separately,
this is why I run Gideon from the directory in which I compiled it.

Sorry again for asking mundane questions but I hope that any time you put in
helping me get started I can repay with contributions to the project! (I mean
code, not pizza or free mugs, I should make clear after reading other posts
here!)

thanks,
Julian