KDevelop 1 build (and building KDE1 apps under KDE2)

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 07:46:32 BST 2000

Hi,

I'm running KDE2 (latest cvs) with some KDE2 applications but I'm also able to start KDE1
applications with that new desktop. So I can start KDevelop-1.2 and KDevelop-2pre at the
same time. And so I can develop KDE2 apps with KDevelop-1.2 on KDE2.

Here's my environment for a SuSE-6.4 system where X Windows is automatically started by
kdm:
(Note: Previously, KDE1 was installed by a normal SuSE installation from rpm packages, kde
was the default system)

- KDE2 (kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase (,kdenetwork, kdevelop))
    is installed in /opt/kde2-cvs
- KDE1 is installed in /opt/kde

It takes 3 steps to merge them for one and the same user login-account:

1.) Modify /opt/kde/share/config/kdmrc
      and add a label "kde2-cvs" to the line called "SessionTypes= ... "
      That is menu entry for kdm.

2.) Create a link:
      ln -s /opt/kde2-cvs/bin/startkde /usr/X11R6/bin/kde/kde2-cvs
      That is why kdm expects such a file there having the same name as its menu entry
      but actually you want to /opt/kde2-cvs/bin/startkde.

3.) Modify your ~/.xinitrc

There's that part for setting the window manager. At first set the environment variables
there (see below). KDEDIR is used for KDE1, only. KDEDIRS is the new official environment
variable for KDE2.
After that add an entry for kde2-cvs in the "if"-branch as shown below. And that is all.
:-)

#-------------------------------
export KDEDIR=/opt/kde
export KDEDIRS=/opt/kde2-cvs
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$KDEDIRS/lib
export LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_PATH:$KDEDIRS/lib
export PATH=$PATH:$KDEDIRS/bin

#
# choose a window manager
#
if test -n "$WINDOWMANAGER" ; then
    WINDOWMANAGER=`type -p $WINDOWMANAGER`
fi
if test -z "$WINDOWMANAGER" ; then
    if test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/kde2-cvs ; then
        WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde2-cvs
    elif test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/kde ; then
        WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde
    elif test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/startkde ; then
        WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/startkde
    elif test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2 ; then
        WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2
    elif test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/wmlist ; then
        for i in `/usr/X11R6/bin/wmlist` ; do
            WINDOWMANAGER=`type -p $i`
            test -n "$WINDOWMANAGER" && break
        done
    fi
fi

I don't know if it works for KDE2-beta rpm packages but at least it works pretty fine for
me and my self-compiled cvs-KDE. :-)

Good luck,
  F at lk