KDevelop 1 build (and building KDE1 apps under KDE2)

John Birch jbb at kdevelop.org
Tue Sep 26 14:45:08 BST 2000

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> Dont worry i have been posting this for months and no-one can seem to
> figure out how to fix it.  i have just given up and am waiting for
> KDevelop 2.
>
> -ian reinhart geiser

This can't be that hard, is it? It's very dependent on how you set your
system up though.

A quick test shows this works for me.

.bash_profile
************cut***************
# User specific environment and startup programs
KDEDIR=/home/kde2/kde
QTDIR=/opt/qt-2.2.0
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=$KDEDIR/include:$QTDIR/include:/usr/local/include:$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH QTDIR KDEDIR

PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$QTDIR/bin:$PATH:$HOME/bin
************cut***************

kdevelop1 script
************cut***************
export KDEDIR=/opt/kde-qt1
export QTDIR=/opt/qt-1.44
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/kde-qt1/lib:/opt/qt-1.44/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH \
    /opt/kde-qt1/bin/kdevelop
************cut***************

Note that kde1 is installed in /opt/kde-qt1. kde2 is installed in my home dir
(~/kde). Both systems are compiled from source, rather than using the
distributed rpms. I have no idea where the rpms put stuff, but it's bound to
be in the wrong place :-)

> > I'm running KDE2 RC2 (version as 1.94 I believe) on a Mandrake 7.1 system
> > and I have managed to get KDevelop to run using the kde1-compat RPMs that
> > come with the KDE2 Mandrake beta RPMs. But there's a wee problem when it
> > comes to compiling KDE1 applications in that they always see the KDE2
> > headers and I can never get any KDE1 application to compile. I've fiddled
> > with the configure script to modify the way it searches for include
> > directories but the test compile for that configure item always fails.
> > The config.log says that gcc can't find the definitions for
> > KApplication::geticondir() and all the other associated static methods in
> > Kapplication which this little test app uses.
> >
> > Have the KDK RPMs been updated at all since KDevelop 1.2 was released?
> >
> > And could someone give me some advice on developing for KDE1 on a
> > (primarily) KDE2 system?

Are you sure you want to do this? kde2 is just around the corner... If you're
running kde2, I'd start developing for kde2.

jbb