SuSE 7.0 and KDE2

Gunnar Stahl gunnar.stahl at intersystem.net
Mon Sep 11 21:33:55 BST 2000

Hi,
today I`ve bought me the SuSE7.0 and installed it. during installation I've told the system to _not_ install _any_ of the
kde- and kde2-packages. A couple of days ago I've downloaded the kde2-beta4-packages for suse6.4 and the qt2.2-beta2.
To get both running together you have to do three things:
1: Get qt running
(Make sure you have the mesa-dev package installed, otherwise it won't compile)
Unpack the qt-tar into a path like /usr/local/qt
CD into /usr/local/qt
./configure -gif -system-jpeg (notice that -system-jpeg is _one_ parameter and therefore
written without blank!)
make
If there were no errors, QT2.2 should now be working.

2: Install the kde2-beta4 rpm's via yast

3: Set environment
You have to set the QTDIR-environment-variable to /usr/local/qt, add /opt/kde2/bin to your path and add the /opt/kde2/lib and /usr/local/qt/lib to your ld-library-path.
The last part is quite easy. You only have to add both path`s to the file /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig. Now your system knows where to look for the libraries.
To set the QTDIR variable and the path to /opt/kde2/lib is a little bit more tricky, at least if you don't know where to look. You have to edit the file /sbin/SuSEconfig.
Look for the following lines
	if test -d $r/usr/X11R6/lib/qt ; then
	    echo "QTDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/qt" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/profile.SuSEconfig
	    echo "export QTDIR" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/profile.SuSEconfig
	    echo "setenv QTDIR /usr/X11R6/lib/qt" >>$r 	/etc/SuSEconfig/csh.cshrc.SuSEconfig
	fi
and change them to

	if test -d $r/usr/local/qt ; then
	    echo "QTDIR=/usr/local/qt" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/profile.SuSEconfig
	    echo "export QTDIR" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/profile.SuSEconfig
	    echo "setenv QTDIR /usr/local/qt" >> 		$r/etc/SuSEconfig/csh.cshrc.SuSEconfig
	fi

The same has to be done for the following lines:

	if test -d $r/opt/kde ; then
	    echo "KDEDIR=/opt/kde" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/profile.SuSEconfig
	    echo "export KDEDIR" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/profile.SuSEconfig
	    echo "setenv KDEDIR /opt/kde" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/csh.cshrc.SuSEconfig
	fi

Change them to

	if test -d $r/opt/kde2 ; then
	    echo "KDEDIR=/opt/kde2" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/profile.SuSEconfig
	    echo "export KDEDIR" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/profile.SuSEconfig
	    echo "setenv KDEDIR /opt/kde2" >> $r/etc/SuSEconfig/csh.cshrc.SuSEconfig
	fi

Save this file and run SuSEconfig manually. It creates the file /etc/SuSEconfig/profile,
which is read each time you log into the system.

Additionally you have to change the file /etc/profile to include the /opt/kde2/bin into your path:
Look for the following lines
	for DIR in /usr/lib/java/bin \
	           /var/lib/dosemu \
	           /usr/games/bin \
	           /usr/games \
	           /opt/bin \
	           /opt/gnome/bin \
	           /opt/kde2/bin \
	           /usr/openwin/bin ; do
	    test -d $DIR && PATH=$PATH:$DIR
	done

The important line is "/opt/kde2/bin", which is not included originally. Include this line and save the file.

The last thing is to enable kwm as your windowmanager. The $WINDOWMANAGER should allready be
set to /usr/X11R6/bin/kde. ln -s this file against /opt/kde2/bin.
Now start kdm. If you did everything as mentioned above and I wrote no nonsense, it should work now.

Greetings,
Gunnar