linking .o files ion Kdevelop

Robert Wheat belran at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 31 04:49:14 BST 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Dan Nedelko wrote:

> Here's for hoping  that someone might be able to help me out.
> I have a project...which compiles just fine.
> have an object file
> I need to link the object to the main project on execution
> Should I:

> b) edit some option from within KDevelop to add the linking of the
> object file. Again, some clarification would be helpful.

Dan,

If I understand your question, "b)" would be the most logical method.

Using the menu option 'Project' -> 'Options' click the 'Linker Options'
tab.  In the Additional Libraries Line Edit window type the name of the
*.o file you want to be linked with your project.

For example, I have a function that tesselates a complex polygon, but
because I was having other problems I couldn't solve, I had to compile
this function as 'C' source code separate from my project.  In my project
directory, that is the source code directory, I have created a directory
called 'extern'.  In this directory I have the source code for my
triangulation function, and at the command prompt I compile this source
code to an object code file as such: "gcc -c tess1c.c -o tess1c.o".

So.....from KDevelop and my project, using the 'Project' -> 'Options'
menu item, and clicking on the 'Linker Options' tab, in the 'Additional
Libraries' line I add 'extern/tess1c.o', and all is well.  Of course, in one
of the header files for my project I have to declare this function as an
'extern' 'C' function, etc.

Hope this helps.....

Bob Wheat
belran at worldnet.att.net