Several questions about 1.2

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Mon May 15 16:38:13 BST 2000

Hello, all.
    I have installed the kdevelop 1.2 and transferred my C-Forge project
to it. While transferring I saw several "problems" that seemed for me
strange. Here they are, and may be somebody can help me with this.

1. After project creation and filling, the build process failed on final
executable module creation. Searching in make files showed that there is
the following definition (ftdr is my target):
ftdr: $(ftdr_OBJECTS) $(ftdr_DEPENDENCIES)
        @rm -f ftdr
        $(LINK) $(ftdr_LDFLAGS) $(ftdr_OBJECTS) $(ftdr_LDADD) $(LIBS)
while this is the only place in all make files where the "LINK" is
mentioned. The problem was solved when I added LINK=ld into the
Makefile.am.

2. I wanted to add some more "sophisticated" division of my 70 files n
the LFV view, then by their extensions and tried to use such expressions
for filters as abc*.c and others. The kdevelop didn't pay any attention
to this - simply ignored.

3. As I was able to understand, each additional parameter, which was
added in the (Project Options->Compiler Options) or (Project
Options->Linker Options->Additional options or additional libraries) is
immediately added to the autoconf...configure... story. This leads to
the very strange and undesirable effects in the configure process,
which, for example, tries to run test program to test compiler
functionality with all this stuff. This is especially harmful for the
link options, because ld options are not understood by gcc.

4. I supposed that if I add some library to the link process by naming
it in Project Options->Linker Options->Additional Libraries it will
appear in the LIBS macro and will be used in the rule I gave in p.1:
        $(LINK) $(ftdr_LDFLAGS) $(ftdr_OBJECTS) $(ftdr_LDADD) $(LIBS)
But the library I added there appeared in ftdr_LDADD macro. Is it
correct? And then what the LIBS macro is for?

5.Another problem, which I was able to solve only manually: to provide
correct linkage I must have the following been given to ld:
--start-group  my libraries --end-group
I wasn't allowed to do this by the IDE - this caused errors all the
time.

6. There are several classes in the application, all of them are
processed by class browser O'K, except one. All my attempts to
understand the difference failed - the class looks very similar to
another one which is well understood by the IDE. The problem is that in
CV view this class is totally absent under the Classes header, but exist
and compiles. Its methods appear under the Global->Functins header. What
can be done to insert this class inside?

Many thanks to always who was able to read this till the end.
Many more thanks to those who will find a willing to answer.

leonp at plris.com