ANNOUNCE: nebsllc.com is DOWN!

Christopher Molnar molnarc at nebsllc.com
Wed May 3 01:08:07 BST 2000

It is with great regret that we announce that effective immediatly
nebsllc.com is down for FTP, CVSUP, HTTP, RSYNC and other services. We
have re-routed our mailling list services to our vertial host so all mail
services will be unaffected. My email address remains molnarc at nebsllc.com.

For the past 27 months we have been able to maintain our low cost internet
feed by using AT&T's @HOME service. At 1pm EDT this afternoon someone took
it upon themselves to report us to abuse at home.com. I was copied on the
message so I did actually see it. It appears that there was not any malice
towards my system, but rather towards the @home people who had shut down
another server. Strangely enough they sent me an email warning message
after they cut my connect.

After some severe scrambling, blocking ports, etc. I was able to re-gain
my outgoing connections I have a vertial server that I use for backup
purposes only that I can re-route some of my activity towards.

My current server (@home) contains over 32 Gig of files supporting various
open source projects. Last month we transfered close to 112 Gig of files
via FTP and close to 124 Gig of data via HTTP. I do not have any stats
on this from Rsync or CVSUP.

To maintain a server such as this on a commercial connection will cost me
a minimum of $850 per month and this is not going to happen. Strangly
enough if I where to run Windows I could get DSL service much cheaper at
$199/month. Unfortunaly I hate winblows and won't run it. And I can not
afford $850 per month. So the server goes.

I will still compile my kde2 builds, someone just needs to give me a place
to put it. The mailing lists will remain active. Unfortunatly all those
getting cvsup feeds from me and rsync feeds from me need to find a new
home.

Chris