Shell script as executable

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Thu Mar 23 01:47:02 GMT 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> I was working with KDevelop the other day and tried to run the internal
> debugger on the program I had just built.  Since it returned to me that my
> executable wasn't a binary file, I went digging for answers.
>
> For some strange reason, KDevelop creates a shell script in my source
> directory that relinks the executable before it is run.  The actual
> executable is stored in <source dir>/.libs/.  This creates complications
> for the debugger.  What is the reason for this shell script and is there
> anyway I can either set up KDev so it actually creates the executable
> where it's supposed to be, or set up KDbg to look for the binary somewhere
> else?
>
> I know I can do 'Open another executable' in the KDbg menu, but this
> doesn't allow me to set breakpoints in the code and do line-by-line traces
> of it.

Hi Tim,

This has been address in cvs, so if you update your kdevelop with this version
it'll work fine.

But current workarounds (best to worst) are
change
bin_program=your_project_name
bin_program=.libs/your_project_name
-or-
You can use "Debug another executable" and it'll find the source fine. If it
doesn't there's something wrong in your setup (I hope :-). Let me know and we
can try and figure out why.
-or-
cp the exe over the top of the script after a compile

--
Regards,

jbb
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jbb