KDevelop-1.1-beta1.0 Objective-C patch - using the Debugger with objc

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 06:40:29 GMT 2000

I've updated my patch I submitted a couple of months ago for
adding Objective-C support for KDevelop1.1beta1.0. Please find it attached to
this email.

Copy kdevelop-1.1-beta1.0objc.patch to the directory above KDevelop-1.1-beta1.0

$ cd  kdevelop-1.1-beta1.0
$ patch -p1 < ../kdevelop-1.1-beta1.0objc.patch
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

I've been trying out the new integrated debugger, and can confirm it works a
treat in conjuction with a 'patched for Objective-C gdb'. You can set break
points, step into method calls (or I could once I worked out I needed to run
strip on my 'libobjc.a' runtime library file). And it seemed happy examining
values in Objective-C instances. ...And then I was happy too! Love the little
green arrow, and the syntax highlighting etc

However, I like to keep my patched gdb in '/usr/local/bin' and the standard one
in '/usr/bin' - so it would be useful to configure the path.

I couldn't get the GNUstep test app 'Edit.app' to run when statically
linked (using a 'make debug=yes shared=no' command). So, to run the dynamically
linked version, I started KDevelop from the command line to pick up a suitable
value of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Then everything worked. I tried adding a '-x
/tmp/gdb/env' command under 'Set debug arguments', but I don't think it was
being passed to gdb. Would it be a good idea to have a 'Dynamic Link' options
tab under the 'Project->Options...' menu?

Automake doesn't work properly with Objective-C on the version of
Linux that I have. That messes up auto adding objc files to KDevelop
unfortunately for the moment. I think I have a suitable work around - it really
needs another project type adding to the Project Creation wizard to set up the
'configure.in' and other files with the automake variables and macros that work
with Objective-C (and a small fix for the 'automake' script'). I looked on the
Cygnus web site, but couldn't find any documentation, although there were bug
fixes apparently being logged for it.

Regards
-- Richard