to SGML or not, that is the question

Mark Coletti mcoletti at clark.net
Fri Jan 14 21:42:46 GMT 2000

Hiyas!

I'm using kdevelop to write an application and, natch, want to do
things The Right Way (tm).  Part of doing so involves, natch,
providing proper documentation.  kdevelop caters to this model by
allowing documentation to be written in SGML using the LinuxDoc DTD.
(Urm, at least that's what I _think_ is going on.)  It uses the
utilities sgml2html or ksgml2html to convert the SGML to, well, HTML.
Presumably other SGML-related tools can be employed to magically
translate to other target formats, such as LaTeX.

Problem: I do not have sgml2html.  Nor could I find the damned thing
after canvassing the net.  But I _could_ get ksgml2html.

Problem, take two: ksgml2html is naught but a wrapper script for
sgml2html.  Welcome back to square one.

Where the HELL do I get sgml2html?

Side question: why SGML and not, say, XML?  And, yes, I know that XML
is a sub-set of SGML.  (At least, so I've been told.  I confess I'm
new to the SGML/XML game.)

And lastly: can anyone recommend good SGML authoring tools besides a
plain-ole text editor?

Cheers!

Mark
--