internal dbg, snapshot 20000101-A

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jan 4 22:36:37 GMT 2000

On Wed, 05 Jan 2000, you wrote:
(snip)
> I recompiled with -DGDB_MONITOR
>
> Here´s the output:
>
> Start dbgset prompt  i
> set confirm off
> set print static-members off
> tty (null)

This is the culprit..
should be "tty /dev/ttyp?" (or pty?)

I don't know why, and I've not made any changes to that code.
Have you upgraded your system recently?

> set width 0
> set height 0
> set stop-on 1
> set print asm-demangle off
> file kcqedit
> run
> (gdb)
> (gdb)
> (gdb)
> (gdb)
> (gdb)
> (gdb)
> (gdb)
> (gdb)
> (gdb) (no debugging symbols found)...

Your program doesn't have debug on? That makes it harder to debug, you'll be
looking at the "disassemble" output a lot. But with the new version you can
now... :-)

> (gdb) (null): Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden.

Oh no - a system message dumped out via gdb.
I've a check for "No such file or directory" thinking that gdb (always
english) was putting that out.

It's not a problem that I've not trapped this in this case, but I'll fix it to
look for a translated message. I can see this as being a bit awkward

This is the "tty (null)" error, btw

> set prompt  T
> backtrace
> set prompt  i
>
> Program exited with code 01.
> You can't do that without a process to debug.
>
> (gdb)
> (gdb) No stack.
>
> (gdb)
> (gdb)
>
> I dare say, it just doesn´t find the executable, but why?
> I hope you know what this means...

Time for a coffee... ?? :-)

I'll email you directly about this...

--