SUGGESTION: Change project file format to XML

Sven Bergner bergner at Fh-Worms.DE
Mon Feb 28 16:02:34 GMT 2000

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Gordon Tyler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using KDevelop for a couple of months now, working on a text
> editor and a few other minor projects. And occasionally I've had to add
> files or change the project definition somehow. And on one or two of those
> occasions, somehow I've managed muck up the project file ;)
>
> Having mucked it up, I have tried to fix it by manually editing the .kdevprj
> file with a text editor to try fix the problem. However, the format of the
> project file is very confusing and messy. This probably partially due to it
> being a generated format but I still believe that it could greatly benefit
> from being converted to an XML format. There are Open Source C/C++ XML
> processing libraries available (which I've seen on freshmeat) so I don't
> think it would be terribly difficult.
>
> The reason I am suggesting this and not actually doing it myself is twofold:
> First, it's quite a dramatic change and I thought that the core team should
> rather be the ones to decide/do it. Second, I don't have a lot of time to
> spend on it which I think may be required (for me at least).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Ciao,
> Gordon

Hi Gordon,
AFAIK is the .kdevprj-file created an mantained using the kde-methods
getconfig and setconfig(or something like that) and these methods write
the configuration to a plain ascii-file.

CU,
  Sven
                 Sven Bergner
           E-Mail: bergner at fh-worms.de