SUGGESTION: Change project file format to XML

Gordon Tyler gtyler at iafrica.com
Mon Feb 28 15:54:14 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've been using KDevelop for a couple of months now, working on a text
editor and a few other minor projects. And occasionally I've had to add
files or change the project definition somehow. And on one or two of those
occasions, somehow I've managed muck up the project file ;)

Having mucked it up, I have tried to fix it by manually editing the .kdevprj
file with a text editor to try fix the problem. However, the format of the
project file is very confusing and messy. This probably partially due to it
being a generated format but I still believe that it could greatly benefit
from being converted to an XML format. There are Open Source C/C++ XML
processing libraries available (which I've seen on freshmeat) so I don't
think it would be terribly difficult.

The reason I am suggesting this and not actually doing it myself is twofold:
First, it's quite a dramatic change and I thought that the core team should
rather be the ones to decide/do it. Second, I don't have a lot of time to
spend on it which I think may be required (for me at least).

What do you think?

Ciao,
Gordon

--- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" ---
Gordon Tyler <gtyler at iafrica.com>
PGP key available on request or via finger gordon at osiris.mda.co.za