KDE2

Serge Lussier lusse at videotron.ca
Sat Feb 19 22:30:52 GMT 2000

HI,
Sorry if this message does not address Kdevelop. It is for KDE2.

I downloaded KDE2alpha RPMs ( Febrary 13 )
on my Mandrake 7.0 .
everthing installed OK except that I had to do a soft link
(libjpeg.so.6) to libjpeg.so.62.0.0

But KDE2 refuses to start. I have about 20 of "error :Kdesktop" can't
find mime type
application/octet-stream dialog box errors, and KDE2 stops to init.
Its very funny.

I also have "sorry, no mime types installed" dialog window errors.

Can anybody tell me what I'm missing to get KDE2 to load and run ?

I've added "/opt/kde2/bin" to my PATH var. ( maybe it is useless )
I explicitly call "exec /opt/kde2/bin/startkde"  in my .xinitrc file.

I have both KDE1.1.2 and now KDE2 alpha installed.
And also kde 1.1.2 does not work anymore! (oops). I will /opt/kde2/bin
from my PATH.

I deleted the old messages I had from the mailing list- thus I lost all
the refs.

I know that KDE2 is not for normal use but I though that I could use
both version of KDE.
And especialy I'm not enough patient to wait until this spring ... :-)

I can start some of the KDE2 application like kscd.  qtcopy seems to
work OK.

I have no error msg in sdterr about shared libs errors.

Thank you very much for your ...H-E-L-P!

Serge Lussier
ICQ#53409121