[Slightly OT] Q about configuration and revision management

Stefan Mars mars at lysator.liu.se
Thu Feb 10 17:47:34 GMT 2000

Ok, hi everyone.

This is going to be slightly off-topic, but please hear me out. For some
time I have been using KDevelop to do my ( private ) development
with. Most of it is objectoriented and lately I have started using UML as
a designaid. At the time it occured to me that KDevelop and Kuml does form
a nice set of development applications, but that there is one piece
missing: Configuration and version management.

Historically CVS is often used as a version management tool, but as far as
I am concerned it isn't doing a really good job. Sure it works, but it is
a pain in the --- to set up and maintain a repository when you have a lot
of users that should have different rights. Even with some of the
available GUIs it's only slightly better.

So, for the sake of the discussion I introduce Kase, a tentative addition
to the KDevelop/Kuml tools. Incidently, I am well aware that KDevelop
doesn't require Kuml, nor the other way around, but they do complement
each other, and now I would like to add that third part. A program that
adds multiple project configuration and version management. I won't go
into detail here, but rather hand over a hypothetical question I would
like to have answered:

Would you be interested in a replacement for CVS, with added and expanded
capabilities ( relative against CVS )? If so, what features would you like
the most?

Feel free to answer me, send questions to me, or maybe just put me against
the wall and flame me :-)

/Stefan Mars
mars at lysator.liu.se