QtGL libraries

Tim Wojtulewicz Tim.Wojtulewicz at NAU.EDU
Fri Feb 4 19:31:26 GMT 2000

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Jacek Wojdel wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> > I'm having some difficulties using the GL template in KDevelop 1.1beta2.
> > I have downloaded and installed the qt-opengl-1.44-1 RPM, which installs
> > libqgl.a.  The problem is is that I think KDevelop wants a .so file, which
> > I cannot find.  Anyone have any expoerience with this?
>
> >From Qt README file:
>
>   On Unix, the library qgl is created as a static library (qgl.a), and
>   not a dynamic library (qgl.so). This is because the Qt OpenGL API may
>   in the future be changed in ways that are not binary compatible with
>   previous versions, so your applications should not depend on a
>   dynamically linked qgl library. Since the Qt OpenGL Extension is a
>   rather small library, the resulting increase in the size of
>   executables using this library is insignificant.
>
> So stop looking for .so file :)
> I never used QtGL template from KDevelop, but I assume there is some another
> reason for your problems than what you suspect. Check things like whether
> libgql.a is in your linking path, whether you installed also development
> version of rpm (is there one ?) etc...
>
> 	Jacek

I have libqgl.a installed in /usr/lib which is in the library path (it
better be).  For some reason, the linker still doesn't see it correctly.
The reason I suspected it was looking for a .so file is because 'ldconfig
-p' only returns links to .so files.  Am I wrong in this assumption?  If
so, how do I tell the linker to look at the .a file instead?

Tim