RPM was: Tabed control

Andreas Schlapbach schlpbch at bluewin.ch
Tue Sep 21 16:59:47 BST 1999

> Pita Leira Pablo - Z6B wrote:
>
> A popular installer in the Linux world is the rpm utility. Normally,
> packages are distributed either in source or binaries in a rpm file.
> Of course, you can give a simple tar file containing the files you are
> distributing but then, no checks are done in the installation. A wish
> item in kdevelop is the automation of generation of the rpm package
> for a project. To automate that, some dialogs (and logic) have to be
> added. The rpm command has plenty of options to install a package and
> there are already graphical interfaces to it but the generation of the
> rpm package is still done 'by hand'.

I've thought about this too. I think someting like pkgbuild

http://www.users.uswest.net/~dshills/linux.html

wouldn't be to bad. A port to KDE/QT should be fairly simple. If you use
autoconf et al.
like kdevelop uses the SPEC file get fairly simple (you need no
patches).
..
%build
./configure
make CXXFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -fno-rtti"
%install
make install
..
The %files part could be generated from the *.kdeprj file (grep
{install_location=}{.} *.kdevprj)
or from the Makefile.in's although they are still somewhat a mystery to
me.

Greetings,
Andreas

--