SUGGESTION: Bookmarks are all wrong! Gone horribly wrong.(long rant)

Roland Schäfer RolandSchaefer at gmx.net
Tue Nov 30 18:38:27 GMT 1999

> 1)  The menu options are fine, but there really should be a context
> sensitive menu option using the right click mouse button...  right click on
> a line, set a bookmark... easy eh?  Almost as easy as the default key
> binding. (ctrl-alt-a)
In the second patch i wrote this is implemented. But it is (whats
before pre-alpha?). You have a border and any mouseclick action
shows a menu to add a bookmark, clear all bookmarks or anything
else you want.
(I could send you the patch, if you like)

> 2)  There should be accelerator keys to help you navigate through the bookmarks
Very good idea!

> 3)  There seriously should be some sort of left handed gutter for
> Kdevelop.  Roland Schäfer's patch does implement this, but only in a static
> way.
The new way is a own left-border-class. You can easily improve
it. (is that static ??? don't know)

> BTW, the anchor is, visually, a bad choice for a bookmark icon. It's begins
Could you paint one? I'm not very good in painting icons.

> Back to the gutter issue.  There needs to be gutter that visually shows the
> bookmarks and allows you to set and remove a bookmark by clicking on a
> particular line inside the gutter itself.  If you already have your hand on
> the mouse and want to set a bookmark, you could just click the gutter at
> the right point and viola!  Bookmark set, continue on with your life...
In my patch its a popup menu which appears everytime you click on
the border.

> [line numbers in gutter]
Its an object - should be possible.

> Ok, there was my *nice* rant about bookmarks.  What do you guys think about
> this?  Do you find the bookmarks easy to use?  Do you think they could be
> improved?  I personally don't think they are useful at all, in their
> current state.
Someone got the idea to store the bookmarks in the TextLine
object and not in an own object. Don't know what is easier to
handle (Searching for a bookmark could take longer ?)

Just my ideas.
Roland