SUGGESTION: Bookmarks are all wrong! Gone horribly wrong. (long rant)

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 30 19:08:16 GMT 1999

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999, you wrote:

> Ok, there was my *nice* rant about bookmarks.  What do you guys think about
> this?  Do you find the bookmarks easy to use?  Do you think they could be
> improved?  I personally don't think they are useful at all, in their
> current state.

The current bookmark implementation is extremely deficient. So much so, that I
originally thought I had found some bugs in kdevelop :) ...not particular useful
currently.

My view is that bookmarks only have relevance to the particular file/linenumber
you set it at. If you change files, then you shouldn't get the old bookmark, at
that linenumber, in the new file. I also think that going to a bookmark, via
ALT_bookmark number (or any other method), should switch files, but some people
may not like that happening. I suggest an option to select either switching
files, or do nothing except put a message on the status bar.

Also don't forget about other activities in the left-border. One that springs to
my mind (don't know why:-) is breakpoints. This adds some issues about how to
deal with "left-border" clicks. But they are all quite nicely solvable.

Oh, and keep on ranting :-)

Roland/Christian
Your patch is shaping up nicely. I'll have some free time to work on this soon,
and tackle breakpoints and integration into my debugger patch.

--
Regards,

jbb
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jbb