Editor in beta 4.1

Daniel Beckham danbeck at mtginfo.com
Mon Nov 22 16:03:59 GMT 1999

No, it's been like this in every beta and I believe it's an integral part
of KWrite... of all the wonderful things in the unix world, I find this to
be the most irritating thing imaginable...  Kwrite isn't the only
offender... almost every unix text editor does this..  It doesn't make any
sense..   Kwrite and other editors make you perform several operations to
replace a block of text with another...or if there is a short cut, it's
non-standard:

Stupid Unix Way:

Select old text
Remove old text
Select new text / Copy'ed when selected
Place cursor at new position
Paste text into new position

If you forgot and copied the new text first, double the above number of
steps...

If you already have your new stuff in the paste buffer, you can't select
the old text to delete it quickly with the del key, you have to either
delete one letter or word at a time, or if you are lucky, you can delete
one line at a time...  If you happen to be at the new text and think "I
need to copy this to the paste buffer to past later", you are shit out of luck.

Better Win32 Way (The only thing they ever got right!!)

Select new text
Copy New Text
Select Old Text
Paste New Text

I can actually work 1000 times faster in a win32 editor like TextPad simply
because I can cut and paste text much more efficiently.

My 2 cents.

Daniel