Intellisense -- Using a Database

Damien House hadamin at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 16:31:45 BST 1999

Ok, if you guys are so bent on taking the easy database way out on this you
should know that none of the other IDE's mentioned, Visual C++, Visual
Basic, CBuilder, and Delphi, use this method.  I garauntee that if you use
this method the results will be nothing but slow performance, and chaos in
keeping up the database.

If you take a look at the files in a Visual C++ Project, it creates, i think
whats are called pdb files, which store CONFIGURATIONS.  The same goes with
Delphi.  They do not store a database of classes, members, and functions.
If they did, then it shouldn't be so that I can open up a Delphi file
without creating a project, and still be able to have Code Completion.

I think the problem here lies in that you think you solved the ClassBrowser
problem with parsing and creating a db file, so why not do the same for
CodeCompletion.  The problem is that those of you comming up with teh ideas
have never looked at teh source for IDE's that have made class browsers and
code completion solutions, MUCH MORE ELEGANTLY.  In this, i mean that the
solutions result in speedy preformance, hence the use of assembly, and very
little memory is used.  For example, using your method, I would not be able
to do what I can do in Delphi which is hold the mouse over a variable and
within .5 seconds see what kind of variable it is, what unit it was declared
in, and what line.

But as I said, I dont even have kdeveloper, so I can't tell you what in code
you need to do.  But I can give you the advise of an experianced developer
and designer.

(I am in no way condeming your work, I believe the list when they
say this is a great product.)

ciao

Damien House
Chief Software Engineer