Deriving from something other than QWidget

John R. Zedlewski zedlwski at princeton.edu
Wed Jun 30 06:28:30 BST 1999

How would everyone feel about allowing the user to derive from a class other
than QWidget?  After they've chosen one of the KDE application templates, there
can just be a simple drop down box that defaults to QWidget but gives a couple
of other relevant options: KNewPanner, KTabCtl, KEdit, etc.  Really these
would just require replacing the word QWidget with, say, KTabCtl in two
places.  However, doing this manually now seems to confuse the class tree a
little, and it can no longer find the constructor in the .cpp file. Is this
method out-of-vogue in KDE style in that people prefer to add one of these
widgets to a QWidget container?  That doesn't really seem necessary.  Another
excellent project feature would be support for a dialog-based application.
By the way, if anyone wants to play with my code for the UI for the code
completion, just email me.  I decided to put off work on it for a while,
because it'll really need that upcoming class-database to do anything useful.
Peace,
--JZ