FAQ/Known/Status issues page

Mathias Puetz mpuetz at unm.edu
Wed Dec 15 17:03:01 GMT 1999

Hello everybody,

ok, since there is some interest in creating a FAQ for
KDevelop 1.0 and some people (Gregor, gstipi at aon.at
and Christian, chcouder at club-internet-fr.fr)
volunteered in helping, let's get this started.

I suggest starting to dig through the mailing list
archive first and make a collection of issues
and workarounds (if available). Anybody on this list
should feel encouraged not only to report problems,
but also solutions for stuff they figured out how
to do , especially if it's not covered in the manuals
and even if they seem trivial on a first look (because
nothing is trivial in the end).
Once we have a known issues list, we should repost
it on this list to see if someone has a workaround
available. Especially the developers with their deep
knowledge of the program should post as many Tips&Tricks
as they can when time allows. You don't have to write
these up in a nice way, since we will do that for you then,
you just have to get the idea over.

I also think Christian's idea of a correspondend
staying in close touch with the developers about
ongoing and future work is a good idea. The existing
wishlist is already very good, but is lacking feedback,
i.e. people don't know if, how much and how soon
some features they asked for are going to make it into
the program. This corresponded could then create a status
page for questions like these and people will be happy.
And it also might get some people to implement the features them-
selves once they realize that their wish is handled with
a low priority :) (see the nice integrated debugger and
the code commenting feature).
This could include a status report on the most important
bugs fixed in the latest CVS snapshot. The CVS changelogs
are already doing that, but usually in a cryptic way for
non-coders. The bugs-fixed reports in the KDE general
system are always lagging behind.

To this respect, I have a question myself: Will there be
a KDevelop 1.1 release to repair some of the more crucial bugs
and issues, especially since 2.0 will be quite some time away ?

Dear Christian and Gergor,
I'm not sure how we should best split the work between us.
We can do it by topic or split it by working steps.
Like acquiring info (dig through mailing list, get back
with people to ask for more detailed info the problem),
preparing info and trying to figure out solutions from
other people, and finally putting it in a nice HTML form.
Christian already expressed his interest in mainainting
a status report, which is fine with me.
Let me know, which you'd prefer.
We should discuss this directly then, not over the mailing list,
since it's faster that way.

Mathias
 ______________
|                                                  \
| Advanced Materials Lab (University of New Mexico) \
| 1001 University SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106         |
| phone: (505)272-7132    -O-    fax: (505)272-7336 |
|   \|/    email:      mpuetz at unm.edu        \|/    |
\___/o\________or puetz at mpip-mainz.mpg.de____/o\____/