What is going on ?

dep dep at snet.net
Thu Dec 9 04:20:20 GMT 1999

On Wed, 08 Dec 1999, Mathias Puetz wrote:

|There's nothing wrong with RedHat 6.1 (at least not more than usual).
|Just install the qt-1.44-devel packages and set the QTDIR variable
|and off you go. In  my opinion 6.1 is one of the most solid RedHats
|that ever existed.

which is kind of like saying "the tallest building in topeka, kansas."

|But what's wrong with installing KDE in /usr or in /bluemoon or whatever ?

actually, installing it in /bluemoon makes more sense than installing it in
/usr. let's say that you build from tarball. you build kdesupport and do make
install. you build kdelibs and do make install. and then kdebase blows up.
won't build. needs something. you now don't have a working kde. and because the
thing is thrown into /usr, and not, say, /usr/kde, there was no way for you to
have backed up your old, working kde so that you can now restore it. what is
normally in /opt/kde/lib is now in /usr/lib. what is normally in /opt/kde/bin
is now in /usr/bin. thanks to redhat, you now have one hell of a mess. at the
very minimum, redhat now ties the user to rpms, because that's just about the
only way to safely upgrade anything that involves more than one package.

|KDE happily lives wherever you put it: it's supposed to work independently
|from the absolute install path. For RedHat it makes absolute sense
|to install into the /usr tree because it's consistent with the rest of their
|distribution.

right. which is much of what makes it a crappy distribution.

--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.