FreeBSD Compile Problem

James Oakley jfunk at roadrunner.nf.net
Mon Aug 16 03:39:59 BST 1999

Yann Ramin wrote:
> I'm tring to compile Kdevelop1.0Beta1 and have a recurring problem.
>
> When it tries compiling, I get the following error message:
> kdlgedit.cpp: In method `void KDlgEdit::generateWidget(class
> KDlgItem_Widget
> *, class QTextStream *, class QString)':
> kdlgedit.cpp:605: virtual memory exhausted

Basically, you're running out of memory. The last time I saw that
message was on my old 386 with 5MB RAM running kernel 1.0.9 (wow, that
was some time ago...). Yes, this is strange with your memory
configuration. Mine compiles in ~5min on my Linux 2.2.7 box with 96MB
RAM and 180MB swap.

Maybe you have a runaway program running in the background eating up
memory. Maybe you're simply running too much stuff, close any copies of
Netscape (the worst memory hog on my machine) running, close X, XDM,
etc.. Run top and type 'M' to sort by memory usage to see what processes
take up the most memory. Check the output of free. Maybe, just maybe,
you've found a bug in the C compilers and/or your kernel. Try compiling
it on another FreeBSD machine.

If you still have no luck, try searching/asking on the GCC lists.
Alternatively, one of the other FreeBSD guys here may be able to provide
you with a binary. Unfortunately, I no longer run FreeBSD (I tried it
out for a week on my mess around machine, It wouldn't recognise my
keyboard (???) and refused to mount my cdrom, I went back to familiar
territory...) so I can't help you there. Maybe I need another mess
around box...

Good luck, I assure you it's worth it.

James Oakley