increasing CXX_STANDARD for kdevelop

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Oct 14 10:28:17 BST 2020

On Mittwoch, 14. Oktober 2020 06:57:15 CEST Igor Kushnir wrote:
> On 2020-10-13 23:36, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'd like to increase the CXX_STANDARD for kdevelop, seems like we are
> > still
> > compiling with `-std=gnu++11`. Any objections to raise this to
> > `-std=c++14`?
> >
> > And, actually, while at it - I would personally even prefer to jump
> > straight ahead to `-std=c++17`. Any objections to that?
> >
> > I rarely have time for KDevelop, but whenever I do take the time I'm put
> > off by the (imo) archaic C++ support we have :) C++17 is a lot of fun,
> > esp. with `if constexpr` and some other utilites.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Hi Milian,
>
> I'd love that change too. Never had a chance to practice C++17 yet. I
> can see two downsides though:
>
> 1. If the KDE Frameworks and the majority of KDE applications are mostly
> tested with C++11 (not sure about that), then there might be
> compatibility issues and bugs exposed by switching KDevelop to a
> different C++ standard.

>From personal experience, I would say this is a non-issue. The ABI is
independent of the compiler version being used e.g.

> 2. Some of the compilers KDevelop aims to support may not support C++17
> perfectly. We'll need to specify which versions of which compilers
> should be able to build KDevelop, then use standard feature support
> tables like this -
> https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support#cpp17 - whenever we
> try out a new feature.

Right, does anyone know a table of compiler versions as shipped with the major
distributions? I seem to remember I once saw something like that.

At work we already use C++17 since a while and it works on somewhat recent
macOS, Windows and Linux distros.

I'll ask on the distro mailing list and get back here.

Cheers

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de