increasing CXX_STANDARD for kdevelop

Igor Kushnir igorkuo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 05:57:15 BST 2020

On 2020-10-13 23:36, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'd like to increase the CXX_STANDARD for kdevelop, seems like we are still
> compiling with `-std=gnu++11`. Any objections to raise this to `-std=c++14`?
>
> And, actually, while at it - I would personally even prefer to jump straight
> ahead to `-std=c++17`. Any objections to that?
>
> I rarely have time for KDevelop, but whenever I do take the time I'm put off
> by the (imo) archaic C++ support we have :) C++17 is a lot of fun, esp. with
> `if constexpr` and some other utilites.
>
> Cheers
Hi Milian,

I'd love that change too. Never had a chance to practice C++17 yet. I
can see two downsides though:

1. If the KDE Frameworks and the majority of KDE applications are mostly
tested with C++11 (not sure about that), then there might be
compatibility issues and bugs exposed by switching KDevelop to a
different C++ standard.

2. Some of the compilers KDevelop aims to support may not support C++17
perfectly. We'll need to specify which versions of which compilers
should be able to build KDevelop, then use standard feature support
tables like this -
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support#cpp17 - whenever we
try out a new feature.

Cheers,