increasing CXX_STANDARD for kdevelop

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed Oct 14 11:36:58 BST 2020

On Wednesday, 14 October 2020 11:28:17 CEST Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 14. Oktober 2020 06:57:15 CEST Igor Kushnir wrote:
> > On 2020-10-13 23:36, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I'd like to increase the CXX_STANDARD for kdevelop, seems like we are
> > > still
> > > compiling with `-std=gnu++11`. Any objections to raise this to
> > > `-std=c++14`?
> > >
> > > And, actually, while at it - I would personally even prefer to jump
> > > straight ahead to `-std=c++17`. Any objections to that?
> > >
> > > I rarely have time for KDevelop, but whenever I do take the time I'm put
> > > off by the (imo) archaic C++ support we have :) C++17 is a lot of fun,
> > > esp. with `if constexpr` and some other utilites.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> >
> > Hi Milian,
> >
> > I'd love that change too. Never had a chance to practice C++17 yet. I
> > can see two downsides though:
> >
> > 1. If the KDE Frameworks and the majority of KDE applications are mostly
> > tested with C++11 (not sure about that), then there might be
> > compatibility issues and bugs exposed by switching KDevelop to a
> > different C++ standard.
>
> From personal experience, I would say this is a non-issue. The ABI is
> independent of the compiler version being used e.g.
>
> > 2. Some of the compilers KDevelop aims to support may not support C++17
> > perfectly. We'll need to specify which versions of which compilers
> > should be able to build KDevelop, then use standard feature support
> > tables like this -
> > https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support#cpp17 - whenever we
> > try out a new feature.
>
> Right, does anyone know a table of compiler versions as shipped with the
> major distributions? I seem to remember I once saw something like that.

Heya,

Repology.com maybe?

E.g.:
  https://repology.org/project/clang/versions

Also check whether the compilers on the CentOS image we're using for AppImage
building has proper C++17 support. Though I'm sure there's also a more recent
devtoolset one can use on CentOS to overcome these issues (haven't checked
it).

Regards,
Kevin