KDevelop for Windows

Daniel Kats dnkats at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 08:48:52 GMT 2020

> Cool, that's great to hear. I'm not a Windows user, but from [1] I heard
> that
> apparently KDevelop can now be consumed via chocolatey? Have you tried
> that?
>
> [1]: https://kde.org/announcements/releases/2020-02-apps-update/

Yes, I did. But it's the same old version 5.4.2 (Last Update: 28 Sep 2019).
Anyway, searching for a way to create an installer, I found the
https://binary-factory.kde.org page with an installer for 5.5.0. Now,
knowing that a Windows version is still compiled regularly, I'm much more
relaxed for the future of KDevelop on Windows. I'm still a bit worried that
the nightly version is not compiling since over a month, but hopefully it's
just some configuration issue.
Would it be possible to link
https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/KDevelop_Release_win64/ on the
https://www.kdevelop.org/download page such that also Windows users could
use the latest KDevelop version? If you still need someone actively looking
and testing the Windows versions, I could do it, but it's much less
pressing now :-)

> That would be very much welcome. I think the first step required here
> would be
> to get in touch with the kde-on-windows working group [2] and ask them how
> proceed. Afaik a group of people are working on bringing installers into
> the
> Windows store. It would be great if you could try to do the same with
> KDevelop?
>
> [2]: https://community.kde.org/Windows

Honestly, I don't think bringing KDevelop to the Windows store is very
important (at least at the moment). For example, in our department the
Windows store is blocked on all Windows computers, therefore distributing
KDevelop over it would actually make the life more difficult. Chocolatey is
a good compromise (and probably it's much simpler to put the installers
there), but it definitely needs more frequent updates. I hope, if you link
the installer of 5.5.0 on the homepage, it will also go to the Chocolatey
fairly quickly.

> If there's anything to be done within KDevelop, don't hesitate to ask on
> our
> development mailing list. I for one would really appreciate if someone
> could
> work on our Windows support.

OK, thanks. I will try my best in keeping an eye on the Windows version,
and raise an alarm, if something goes wrong asap.

Cheers,
Daniel