FYI: please file review requests on gitlab now

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Jan 28 10:48:14 GMT 2019

On Monday, January 28, 2019 11:30:36 AM CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday January 28 2019 11:09:14 Milian Wolff wrote:
> >Learn git, don't live in the past with manual patch management. Seriously.
>
> I use git to maintain my patches but that's where it ends.  Having a branch
> for each individual patch plus one where they are all applied is not
> maintainable and way too brittle.
>
> Just accept the fact that everyone has a workflow of his/her own - and the
> fact I work with non-committed patches isn't so exceptional in KDE land
> judging from exchanges I've had with the KDE RB/Phab maintainer(s).
>
> Maybe try your hand at maintaining more than a handful of packages for a
> distribution which all require some amount of patching for several reasons
> that cannot all be addressed upstream, at once. Then come back and we'll
> talk more about this.

I do this all the time with KDE, Qt and commercial projects I work on. This is
not a special workflow at all, quite the contrary - it's the norm!

I have a work branch with everything I need, and then separate branches that I
use to send patches up for review. With ccache and icecream I don't waste time
rebuilding after switching branches either.
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de