what about clangd?

Daniel Mensinger daniel at mensinger-ka.de
Sat Aug 24 10:53:16 BST 2019

On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 11:32:42 +0200
René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> The keywords here are lightweight (as in Christoph's earlier reply) and "most capable". Currently KDevelop's clang parser plugin isn't very capable at all in practice unless you're dealing with CMake or QMake-based projects (the jury is still out on Meson AFAIAC). If you're working with a Makefile-based project (= all autoconf projects) or something completely different (the atom editor or Electron sources for instance) you're SOL, and that has been a recurrent source for questions on the user ML. We can only guess about how many potential users didn't even bother to come ask after test-driving KDevelop and seeing it failed on their projects (just like I did with the CodeBlocks IDE).

As the author/maintainer of the Meson plugin I would like to add that providing
include paths, etc. should work at least as well as with CMake based projects.
If it doesn't then this is a bug and please let me know :)

So, using the current clang-based parser should also be preferable for Meson.

> About that: at first sight a proper implementation would take the existing compile_commands.json project management code from the cmake plugin and move it to a parent class where it becomes available to other project manager plugins too?

Meson has its own introspection API (https://mesonbuild.com/IDE-integration.html),
so moving the compile_commands.json CMake implementation wouldn't make a
difference for the Meson plugin. However, I haven't looked at qmake at all
and it might be possible to use `ninja -t compdb` to generate the database
in the custom buildsystem manager plugin.

I basically just want to say that the Meson plugin works just fine with
the current setup :)

Daniel