v5.1.40 tag?

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Sep 18 09:27:54 UTC 2017

On Monday, 18 September 2017 10:48:05 CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Saturday September 16 2017 14:24:31 Kevin Funk wrote:
> >We never tag .40 versions, first tag will be the release candidate version
> >-- which will pop up soon-ish.
>
> I'm not insisting you do (I'm fine using a local tag). So the main question
> still is: why does the command I showed not do what I want it to do?

Because git tag's search strategy still finds v5.1.2 first, before the v5.1.40
tag you've created. That's likely due to the the kdevplatform -> kdevelop
history merge. Unfortunate but I don't think it's fixable. Not worth spending
time on it either.

See:
  http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/git-describe.
1.html#contenttoc5

Excerpt:
"""
       If an exact match was not found, git describe will walk back through
       the commit history to locate an ancestor commit which has been tagged.
       The ancestor’s tag will be output along with an abbreviation of the
       input committish’s SHA1.

       If multiple tags were found during the walk then the tag which has the
       fewest commits different from the input committish will be selected and
       output
"""

Checking kdevelop.git:

% git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD
5.2

% git describe
v5.1.2-15145-g85b8b80cce

% git tag v5.1.40 -m "Release 5.1.40" 6124c1319cc26dd61888aa8ed69b99ff7d44723a
% git describe
v5.1.2-15145-g85b8b80cce

% git rev-list v5.1.2..HEAD | wc -l
15145

% git rev-list v5.1.40..HEAD | wc -l
15348

=> Whoops, more commits between v5.1.40 and HEAD than v5.1.2 and HEAD.
=> git describe assumes v5.1.2 is more recent

Regards,
Kevin