D7742: KDevelop projects : make use of KDirWatch optional

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 9 13:08:15 UTC 2017

kossebau added a comment.

  Some feedback from a user experience expectation of mine while cross-reading the topic:

  Given that

  - import of a project is not something what you do every five minutes, but only once per project
  - users might not remember/know about the "limited parsing" feature (or whatever you will call it)
  - a sensible file count limit depends on the power of the workstation/OS/filesystem where KDevelop runs

  What about KDevelop detecting on import if a project is "large" and, if so, enforcing some interactivity with the user, querying them whether to active "limited parsing" for this project?
  And in the dialog telling about the trigger reason ("soo many files"), offering the usual "do not ask me again" option and telling where in the settings one could later change their decision?
  Same could also be done on loading a project, to catch the case where after a while a project has grown large. Given loading is done often, this needs more options like "Ask me again on next loading" and "remember my decision now".

  Would agree to the proposal to control the feature "limited parsing" per project, not globally. For some projects one might be willing to pay with long opening/closing times for the feature of automatic parsing updates, while for others (e.g. in read-only/study mode) you would not.

  The trigger file count should be done as global setting as proposed above, so people can adapt it to their needs (incl. a "Never" option perhaps).

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D7742